I am 33 now. If you’d asked me a week ago how I felt about turning 33, I would have winced and bored you to tears about how old it sounds, how I had wished I’d accomplished so much more by now, how I’m not really looking forward to being the age my mother was when she had me. But now that I am here, I realize it’s not much different than 32. Maybe it’s all the cake I’ve had the past few days, but I feel happy, hopeful and inspired.
So. In the spirit of my pal Andrea, I’m making a list of 33 things to do in my 33rd year. Here we go…
1. Get an iPhone.
2. Write a book. it doesn’t have to be the book, just a book. It doesn’t have to be good, just done.
3. Make a zine.
4. Plant a little herb garden.
5. Bake a loaf of no-knead bread.
6. Lighten my load.
7. Sew pillows with the Denyse Schmidt fabric I’ve been saving.
8. Indulge in a romantic dinner with Rama at The Little Door.
9. Devour a steak at Arroyo Chop House.
10. Order omakase style at Sushi Nishi-ya.
11. Revive crafternoons.
12. Ride a bike.
13. Fly a kite.
14. Go for a hike.
15. Learn about wine.
16. Throw a wine & cheese tasting party.
17. Take a dip in the Pacific Ocean.
18. Move into a new place.
19. Wreck more journals.
20. Take a longer leisurely trip to SF.
21. Enjoy a proper vacation with Rama to a place at least one of us hasn’t yet been.
22. Go to the Rose Bowl Flea Market.
23. Have a Pixar movie marathon.
24. Master some Filipino dishes, like pancit bihon, adobo and leche flan.
25. Redesign my Darling web site.
…And more to come as I think of it…